Monday, February 15, 2010

roma.

Wednesday was so calm during the day, night is another story. We had class in the morning and then everyone slowly started to trickle off to go on their extended weekend trips. Our flight to Rome didn’t leave until six the next morning so we basically had our huge house to our selves. We took showers and got all packed up to go. We ate subway for lunch and kebabs for dinner because we weren’t provided with any meals for the day. We left for the airport around ten at night and got there around eleven thirty. Jenny, Emma, Audrey, Jake, Caitlin and I then had about six hours to kill until we could check in and go through security. Caitlin and I ended up staying up all night walking around the airport, eating snacks and getting online to write people poems. Before we knew it, it was time to finally go through security. A short but painful two hour flight later we landed in Rome! It is literally the most beautiful city I have ever been in. London is amazing but it has nothing to compare to the elaborate basilicas and long standing ruins that are here. Once we landed we went on a bus that leads us to the metro where we got on another bus. We got on the right bus but missed our stop so we had to ride it in a whole circle to get back to where we wanted to be. Normally I would be frustrated with this but it gave us a chance to see the city and it is beautiful! I have seen so many pictures of this place in text books and things from history classes but I never thought that I would actually be experiencing it for myself. Once we got in the area we needed to be we went to see the Trevi Fountain, which is conveniently located around the corner from our hotel.
Trevi Fountain.
I paid 2 euros for this stupid picture. dang romans.
We then ate a quick lunch at our first real Italian restaurant. I ordered a margarita pizza with a coke and it was divine. I have never has such wonderful pizza, the Italians sure know what they are doing here.
Our new friend at lunch.
After lunch we walked to try and find our hotel, which we still had not checked into yet and after about an hour of walking and a gelato stop we found it right around where we were the previous hour. We dropped our stuff and were off again.
We walked a little ways to the Via Del Corso to do a little shopping. I found a really cute pearl head band and a bow, which was all that I really bought in Rome.
We walked to the end of the Via Del Corso and witnessed the cheesiest horse show I have ever seen. We then got on the metro to go to the Spanish Steps. They were beautiful at night and there was a group of medieval dressed performers doing tricks and playing with fire in front of the steps. We walked up them to a church that is at the top and went inside to listen to a worship service that was going on. The singing inside of the church was heavenly and I enjoyed sitting in on a worship service other than our churches. After exploring a little we went to one of the restaurants that Caitlin picked out called La Bruschetta. Our waiter was the sweetest man we had met in Rome his name was Bonaphachi and he was obsessed with American sports. Jake was very impressed with his knowledge of sports teams. I had very authentic carbonara and it was delicious. After dinner we walked back to our hotel and quickly fell asleep finally after about thirty six hours.
Honeymoon shot with Jake.
Emma and I on the Spanish Steps.
Rome is Beautiful.

5 comments:

Marilyn said...

So fun, who is that cute boy?

Anne Marie Hyer said...

Moo, lovein the blog. I never went to Rome so I'm glad you took me, virtually. Ahh I'm just so excited about all that you are doing. Oh, and would you mind looking up Alberto for me??? haha (remember my italian 'boyfriend'!!) but really, please don't.
Oh, now you HAVE to see "when in Rome" because you'll prob have such a love for it.
love ya babe

Kylie said...

Ok, it is sooo cool that we have both been to at least one of the same cities in Europe! Isn't it just beeeeautiful there?! I loved it so much! When you go to Paris you'll be going to my home away from home! My 2nd home! I love it sooo much, I can't wait to see what you think, experience, love, and do there! YAY! And duh, PS, I got your PACKAGE today! Thank you sooo much, I love it! You know exactly what I love...caramel and MILK chocolate! hehe. I love you!

vocalise said...

Your commentary is killing me. (Specifically about being suckered into the photo.) Keepin' it real...that's Macy. And nobody would want it any other way...

Kristy said...

I love hearing about what you are doing and seeing Macy...Rome sounds divine! Your pictures are adorable...